The E-way bill is a vital business document, the system of which was implemented on 1st April 2018 under the GST regulation. The concerned parties need to generate the bill before shipping merchandise valued at more than Rs. 50,000 across state borders or within the state.
As per rule, transporter of the goods must carry one official copy of this bill. This document includes information on the type of goods, consignor, consignee and transporter. So, for transporting goods, you must visit the official portal and use the E-Way bill login if you need to generate an E-way bill. However, if you are not fully aware of the whole procedure, here is everything you need to know.
What is an E-way Bill?
Widely known as an E-way bill, it is an electronically generated waybill. It is a mandatory document for commercial transportation of goods worth over Rs. 50,000, intra-state or inter-state. You can generate an E-way bill through these following modes:
Through SMS:The tax authorities have permitted taxpayers to generate their E-way bills easily via SMS.
Via E-way Bill portal: Just by following a few steps, you can generate these bills through the official online E-way bill login.
Through Android app: Similarly, you can generate E-way bills via an Android app. By selecting the ‘for mobile app’ option in the registration menu and following a few steps, you can download the app on any of your registered mobile numbers via an SMS.
After generation of bill, the supplier, consignee and transporter will get a unique E-way bill number, allowing shipment of goods between two points.
When Do You Require Generating an E-Way Bill?
You should generate an E-Way bill while you are involved in:
- Supplying goods with consideration
- Supplying merchandise without consideration
- Inward shipment of goods that comes from an unregistered person
‘Supply’ means any movement of goods just not for sales, but equally for any other ground such as inter-branch transfer, buying from any unregistered person, or as barter (exchange of goods).
However, on certain occasions, you will require to create an e-Way bill even when the worth of the merchandise does not go above Rs. 50,000.
Who Can Generate an E-Waybill?
The following individuals can generate a waybill:
- Registered Persons
Issuing an E-Way bill is compulsory when a registered person transports goods valued to another person registered in the E-Way Bill login portal. A transporter or registered person must generate and carry an E-Way Bill even when the goods value is less than Rs. 50,000.
- Unregistered Person
Generating E-Way bills is also mandatory for individuals who don’t have registration on online portal. They must also ensure to stick to E-waybill compliance as per requirements.
Transporters who will carry goods through roadways, airlines, rail etc. must generate E-Way Bills in case sender of the goods has not done it.
What is the Format of an E-Way Bill ?
The GST E-Way Bill comprises two sections: Part A, and Part B.
Part A will contain the details of shipment:
- GSTIN of Recipient
- Place of Delivery
- Invoice and Challan Number
- Value of Goods
- HSN Code (Harmonised System of Nomenclature)
- Reason for Transportation
- Transport Document Number
In Part B of the form input the vehicle number through which goods are shipped. The transporter will also need to fill it the same on E-Way bill login portal.
Advantages of E-way Bill
- Less documentation: The transporter of goods will no longer require communicating physical copies since the RFID device remains attached to the truck, and thus verifies the bill.
- Reduce Tax Avoidance: The proper invoicing and implementation of e-way bill, will be helpful to lessen tax evasion.
- Efficient transportation: E-way billing system will enhance the efficiency as well as speed of transportation by eliminating the need of waiting at the check posts.
- User-friendly: The system and portal both are quite user-friendly. So, dealers can themselves download the E-way bill.
- Fast and Easy E-way bill generation: The entire process of E-way bill generation is very easy and simple.
Businesses that require transporting of goods and E-way bills require significant funds for operations in addition to shipping. They can take the help of an online marketplace where customers can compare loan offers from various financial institutions and select the ones most suitable for them.
The primary objective of implementing of E-way bill is to prevent tax avoidance. In addition, it helps to ease the transportation of goods and track their movement by the E-way bill number. You need to access the E-way bill login portal to generate the E-way bill.