Back pain is one of the most common health issues that affect people of different ages. There are varying reasons for backache. A detailed diagnosis for identifying the cause is compulsory before commencing the Ayurvedic treatment for Back Pain. After pinpointing the causes of back pain, the treatment method could be finalized. Else, the result will be temporary and the back pain will return after a short period.
Ayurveda has effective treatment whatever the causes of back pain may be. An experienced ayurvedic doctor will examine the patient thoroughly and then administer medications and treatment methods. Ayurveda aims at eliminating the illness from the root level. Therefore, it will be cured permanently.
The changing lifestyles, sitting long hours in a steady posture, type of jobs wherein one has to lift heavy objects continuously have been the most common causes of back pain. Besides, certain other physical ailments can lead to back pain.
Also, read about the benefits of Turmeric.
Causes of Back Pain
- Spondylitis – Infections or inflammation in joints of the spinal cord, due to varying issues, can cause stiffness and back pain. Osteomyelitis (spine infection) and Sacroiliitis (Sacroiliac joint inflammation) are two other types of infection/ inflammation in the back.
- Ligament Tear – Constant lifting of loads or sudden and heavy jerks can cause ligament tears. Persons with poor physical strength may face painful muscle spasms.
- Osteoporosis – Low Calcium level in the body, maybe due to eating disorder or other reasons, can lead to Osteoporosis. This is one of the other causes of back pain. The bones become weak, porous, and brittle, leading to breakage of the vertebral column.
- Improper Posture – The type of job you are involved in could be another reason for back pain. People nowadays sit for long hours in front of computers as part of their job. The posture of sitting and the type of chair they use also matter. If the chair is not supporting the vertebra, it can be detrimental. And will lead to severe back pain.
- Issues with Disks – The disks between vertebrae act as shock absorbers and give a cushioning effect. The ruptures, fractures, or wearing out of discs can be problematic. The damaged disc may put pressure on a nerve. Thus causing back pain. It could be confirmed by examining the x-ray of the vertebra.
- Arthritis – Osteoarthritis can lead to Spinal Stenosis. The narrowing of space inside the spine can pressurize nerves that run through it. This can cause back pain. Spinal Stenosis mainly occurs at the lower back and neck.
- Spinal degeneration – Stiffness in the back on waking pain, pain after a walk, or standing for a long time indicates spinal degeneration. Disc wear and tear can lead to spinal degeneration.
- Fibromyalgia – It is a physical disorder with musculoskeletal pain and accompanied by fatigue, sleeping disorder, memory issues, and mood swings. There could be a pain in the spine, hip, neck, and shoulders.
- Physical Abnormalities – Physical irregularities are one of the major causes of back pain. Your spine may have some structural issues that can lead to backache. The structural problem may need to be corrected to cure the problem.
Also, read about low card diet
Symptoms of Back Pain
- Muscle Pain – Muscle pain could be indicative of back pain. However, not all muscle pains may indicate a problem with the spinal column.
- Sudden or shooting pain – A sudden pain or shooting sensation through the body could be the initial phase of back pain. However, not all such pains could be considered as the beginning of back pain.
- Lack of flexibility of spine – You may face difficulty in moving your back freely. The motion of the back may be limited due to stiffness or pain.
- Pain that begins from the leg – A pain that commences at the lower portion of the leg can travel upwards. Thus indicating the issue with the spine.
- Difficulty in standing straight – A person with an issue in the spine will not be able to stand straight. S/he will stoop forward or take support from the side.
Natural Ayurvedic treatments for back pain
Ayurveda has a comprehensive treatment method for back pain. The treatment aims to not only relieve the pain but also eliminate the problem at the root level. Back pain is called Kati Shoola in Ayurveda. The ayurvedic treatment for back pain will have both internal medication and external treatments.
Ayurveda observes that the human body contains three doshas, i.e. Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Back pain is caused by excessive accumulation of Vata dosha. Among the three doshas, Vata is considered to be the most powerful that provides all the health benefits to the body. On the other hand, the diseases or health issues caused by Vata dosha have a deep effect and high mortality rate.
Several medical problems are caused by Vata dosha. The most common symptom of diseases due to Vata dosha is pain. The severity of pain will only force the patient to seek medical help.
Ayurveda treatment for Kati Shoola (back pain) will initially focus on identifying the underlying causes of the back pain. The treatment method will be formulated based on the degree of the issue, the patient’s physical condition, medical history, and other necessary aspects.
MRI scan, X-ray, Bone scan, or Electromyography (EMG) may also be necessary for obtaining the exact condition of the spinal column. The Ayurveda doctors will analyze the test results in detail before preparing the treatment method. It will include internal and external medicines, modification in lifestyle, food control, and physical exercises.
The elaborate procedure for the treatment of back pain will have Dhanyamala Dhara, Abhyanga Sweda, Snehapana, Vamana, Vasti, Kati Vasti, Elakizhi, Navarakizhi, Pizhichil, and so on. The treatment may continue for about 06 weeks depending on the severity of the issue. A well-experienced Ayurveda doctor can cure you completely of the disease within the stipulated period and rejuvenate your body.
Kerala has been renowned for Ayurveda for a long time. Both domestic and international patients select reputed hospitals in Kerala for ayurvedic treatments. Back pain could indicate an underlying issue that may require the attention of an expert ayurvedic doctor. The causes of back pain has to be confirmed for effective treatment. Consult a well-established Ayurveda hospital in Kerala today for treatment of back pain.