What is The Green Card and How To Get It?

Share the love

The Green Card is a permit that allows you to live and work in the United States permanently. By obtaining the green card you become a resident of the United States. French people who do not have a green card must apply for a work visa to be able to stay and work in the United States. Their right to work is then limited (in a field or for a specific position), as is the length of their stay.

In addition to allowing you to live and work in the United States, the green card can give you access to American nationality. But to be naturalized certain conditions are essential and also the choice of remove conditions on green card but it takes a certain process and requirements, so the conditions are: only adults aged 18 and over can apply. Then, you must have resided in the United States for at least five years or for three years while being married and living with an American citizen. Foreigners who served in the US military are also eligible. You will also need to be familiar with the US government system, be able to read, write and speak English. The USCIS site can help you prepare for this test. To apply for naturalization fill out Form N-400.

How to get the Green Card?

There are four ways to obtain the green card (apart from asylum applications):

The annual lottery: This one is free, the multitude of sites which offer to you to register for remuneration are thus scams. You must register at www.dvlottery.state.gov during the period indicated each year by the US Department of Foreign Affairs, usually between October and November. Certain conditions are required, such as obtaining the baccalaureate or two years of professional experience during the last five years in a profession which requires at least two years of training or practice. Each year, 50,000 permanent resident visas are granted. For more information see sheet # 4.

The family path: If you are the husband, wife of an American, if you are the child under 21 and unmarried of an American parent and if you are a parent of ‘an American child over the age of 21. This also applies to the husband, wife and unmarried children of a green card holder. The child of a diplomat born on American soil is also eligible. There are a few other special cases.

The professional route: get sponsored by an American employer, but the process can be long and expensive. Investors can also benefit if they invest at least $ 1 million and employ 10 US citizens.

Real estate investment: thanks to the federal EB-5 program, foreigners investing $ 500,000 or more in a commercial real estate project can apply for a green card. Construction of a hotel, a condominium, an office tower, a sports complex, all projects are eligible provided they employ ten people per investor. The investor’s family can also apply for a green card. It takes between 22 and 26 months of waiting to obtain the right to reside in the United States.

What are the chances of winning the Green Card by drawing lots?

Each year, 50,000 permanent resident visas are granted through the lottery whose official name is the “Diversity Immigrant Visa Program”. In 2013, among the 26,687 French people who took part, 549 were selected, for a chance of winning of 2%. The draw is based on the number of visas available for each region and country. No nation can accumulate more than 7% of the visas granted under the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program.

Am I eligible for Green Card?

The administrative procedures are not very complicated but you must be able to meet the eligibility criteria: you must first come from a country appearing on the list of states whose citizens are eligible (some countries cannot participate because they have reaches the maximum quota of nationals in the United States). The French can participate. Then you must have obtained the baccalaureate (or successfully completed 12 years of primary and secondary education) or have two years of work experience within the last five years in a profession that requires at least two years of training or practice. . To find out if your profession is eligible, you can go to the O * Net On-Line site in the “Find Professions” section, select “Job Family”. So, It’s all about the eligibility process.

Share the love